Jollof Rice is one of the most popular dishes in the world, commonly served at parties, weddings and restaurants. It is also a dish that is cooked with perfection and can be found among West African’s mostly Ghanaians and Nigerians.
Jollof Rice is made with meat, veggies, spices, tomatoes, and onions mixed in the long-grain rice.
In this article, you will learn the easy steps on how to prepare Jollof Rice
- 210 grams of tomato puree
- 5 Large size of tomatoes
- 2 Cups of Rice
- Chicken (or any other meat of your choice)
- 5 ounces of Vegetable cooking oil
- 2 Large Onion
- 4 Small green peppers
- 1/2 Clove of garlic
- 1 Tsp of ground ginger
- 2 Chili peppers
- 1 Smoked mackerel or any fish of your choice (Optional)
- Spices (Curry powder, Onga Stew seasoning, Shrimp cubes or other preferred spices)
- Vegetables (Carrots, Green Pepper, Spring onions or others)
How to cook Jollof Rice and Chicken
We prepare the chicken first
- Thaw Chicken slowly and wash gentle
- Season with Garlic, ginger, Salt or other preferred spice
- Steam the chicken for close to 10 minute and allow it to cool down
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan and deep-fry the chicken till it turns a little brownish
- Remove Chicken, strain the oil and set it aside
Secondly, We prepare the stew
- Slice your onions, garlic, tomatoes and other vegetables aside
- Heat the vegetable oil (5 ounces) in a cooking dish or sauce pan
- Add sliced onions, garlic to the oil and allow it to heat till it turns to brownish
- Add your tomato puree and stir gentle until all is cooked
- Add blended or sliced fresh tomato and chili into the sauce pan and allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes until every bit of water evaporates
- Add your preferred spices and wait for few minutes
- Break your smoked washed mackerel to the stew or add some of your fried chicken and stir
- Wait for few minutes and add the chicken stocks.
Now, we cook the rice
- Add a little water if the chicken stock is not enough to cook the rice and add salt to taste
- Pour rice into the stew and leave it to boil
- Stir rice uniformly and reduce the heat
- Allow it to simmer on low heat for thirty minutes
- Add the veggies to the rice and cover with a foil or a clean napkin before covering with the lid
- Wait for some minutes until rice is cooked.
Once your rice is cooked, your Jollof is ready and can be served with chicken on the side.
Jollof rice, like any other dish, is best served hot.